Thursday, March 24, 2011

A&M Board of Regents Meeting

...is today. They are voting on my promotion and tenure. Out of 12 candidates from my college, only 4 made it off my campus for consideration by the Board of Regents. 60% were rejected. I was, thank GOD, one of the four who was deemed elegible.I am listening to the live feed of this process via my computer as the Board of Regents makes their decisions on the applicants. 1200 in the A&;M University system were eligible to apply, 240 slots are available for Associate Professor. 91 individuals went up for promotion and tenure in the A&M system, 58 were selected for consideration. This is an excruciating process, one that begins the first day of your hire, and you hear that tenure clocking the minute you begin working. You are expected to publish, to bring in money in terms of grants and funding, teach well and in my case, do much service in terms of committee work, professional development and service to the community. You are evaluated each year. I had one year removed since I was hired in January -- that was a surprise I found out during my 3rd year, administration realizing it was my actually my fourth. I then had one year to get the things done I thought I had two years to accomplish. I was so, so, so stressed about it. I was frozen. Then, using words of advice from friends and family, I turned it over to God --"Thy will be done, not mine". I completely turned the situation over to Him. A friend told me, "When you ask God to move a mountain, be prepared to wake up next to a shovel." I got out the shovel and worked every extra minute....praying the entire time.

I got 4 publications written and published in one year. And a 2 million dollar grant came in, another 8 million pending. 32 international and national conference presentations were given during my 4.5 years. Service work out the wazoo....chairing over 15 University committees, working on 10 more, working, working, working and loving what I was doing - but working sooo hard.

I just heard Dr. Killibrew, my University President request my application for promotion and tenure...it was approved by the Board of Regents.

I can't express the relief and gratitude as I sit here in beautiful Marble Falls Texas at a retreat.

Also announced today were the new inductees into the Chancellor's Academy of Teacher Educators:


Texas A&M System Announces Inductees for Chancellor’s Academy of Teacher Educators

NEWS RELEASE
March 24, 2011
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – The Texas A&M University System today announced the first inductees for the Chancellor’s Academy of Teacher Educators. The Academy recognizes individuals who have made significant contributions to the field of teacher education and highlights the role of the A&M System in producing K-12 teachers for the state of Texas.
This year’s inductees are Dr. Jauquita A. Cranfill Hargus, Texas A&M University-Texarkana; Dr. Marion Henry, Prairie View A&M University; Dr. Lance Kieth, West Texas A&M University; Dr. Cherie A. McCollough, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi; Dr. Dawn R. Parker, Texas A&M University; and Dr. Patricia Zelman, Tarleton State University.
“Teachers have shaped the past and now shape the entire future of our state and our nation” said Michael D. McKinney, chancellor of the A&M System. “The Texas A&M System is dedicated to producing outstanding teachers who will stay in this honorable field of endeavor. This initial class of inductees into the Academy all share a devotion to the teaching profession and a commitment to today’s students and tomorrow’s leaders.”
“The chancellor is a firm believer that as a land-grant system, it is imperative for the A&M System to improve K-12 education and teacher preparation across our 11 universities,” added Frank Ashley, vice chancellor for academic affairs.
Academy members each receive a $1,000 stipend, commemorative medallion, certificate, and recognition at the Chancellor’s Century Council annual meeting. The first class of the Chancellor’s Academy of Teacher Educators was selected by an A&M System committee and future classes will be selected by Academy members. University faculty, staff and students may nominate any full-time faculty member who has had a significant impact in the preparation of teachers.
The A&M System produced nearly 4,000 certified teachers in 2009 and has a 100 percent job placement rate for students completing teacher preparation programs in middle school, bilingual and special education.
About the A&M System
The A&M System is one of the largest systems of higher education in the nation, with a budget of $3.3 billion. Through a statewide network of 11 universities, seven state agencies and a comprehensive health science center, the A&M System educates more than 120,000 students and makes more than 22 million additional educational contacts through service and outreach programs each year. Externally funded research expenditures exceed $730 million and help drive the state’s economy.


 Next Friday I will be at the Chancellor's dinner. I am super humbled, and so ready to serve the profession that has given me so many opportunities. I am super blessed!!!

Thank you my Lord and my God. May I bless and serve you always, helping others as you have helped me.

1 comment:

  1. Wowzers! I am so humbled to be able to accompany you on this memorable stop along your journey. Can't wait to see you take that walk tomorrow night! I love you and am so very proud of you. Whooop!

    ReplyDelete