Monday, July 21, 2008

Hello Dolly!


It seems we are expecting a little weather. My university has cancelled classes for two days and since my students are missing a major exam, they're pretty happy I'm sure. The lines at the gas pumps make it look like the 1970's gas war (99 cent) days that are long over. Annie is leaving town - so are all my fellow faculty members and friends. Ella,the fish, the birdies and I will sit here and watch the winds from my 2nd story. I've stocked up on water (they turn off the water - I never could figure that one out. I mean, we're getting MORE water - leave it on!), tons of batteries and a bottle of wine. What else do ya need? I just hope the power stays on -- it's up around 100 degrees these days with a minimum humidity reading of 97% and even though I hate air conditioning and am always cold, I don't want to think about an extended period of time without it.

JP is supposed to come to town Thursday. Wanna take bets on whether the flight makes it? I bet it does. I bet this thing is gonna blow through Wednesday before I get to finish the bottle of wine -- certainly before I go through all this bottled water.

In the meantime, I'll try and do some work, maybe some blogging, singing with the birdies and maybe even get on the elliptical since my running is definitely gonna be curtailed. That's all provided we keep electric power going. Otherwise, I'm gonna high tail it to the nearest hotel room (that has electricity, i.e., air conditioning) with the birdies and the dog. The fish don't care.

5 comments:

  1. One bottle of wine? Only one? I guess you have to stay somewhat sober should you need to swim, but if the "Big One" should hit California, I plan on heading to the wine cooler post haste and starting with the early 2000s Pinots. One shouldn't be expected to take on disaster without solid fortification...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, I love storm watching. Sounds cozy. How was it? Speaking of storm watching, I've always wanted to visit this inn in BC that has winter storm watching. http://www.wickinn.com/stormwatching.html Beautiful! Le sigh. Check out the inn too. One of my many dream vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue! Getting another bottle (or two)!! What was I thinking??? Storm making landfall in the a.m. EB - So there is time to drink on the patio till the breeze carries me away like Dorothy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How's it going down there??? Hope the wine was yummy and you're staying cool, dry and happily storm watching. Give us an update when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops - sorry BV - that was EP who posted before...

    ReplyDelete