Monday, August 15, 2011

Playa Del Carmen: Post Script

So, now it's back to work, classes start next week....there are syllabi to write, schedules to arrange, plans to make, equipment to order, grants to rev-up, people to contact...I'm not complaining. I love my job - I really, really do. But, part of me is still thinking about blue water and wishing I was there.

On the way back from Mexico I had a strong urge to write, but having a window seat made it difficult to grab some paper from the (crowded) overhead bin that was accessed two seats over. So, I took the liberty to deconstruct the ever present barf bag and use that to write. I am, quite literally, reading my thoughts from a Continental Airlines barf bag :). Here they are:
*Went running 4 mornings before dawn, noticed that as the Mexican runners/workers/housekeepers/etc. passed me on the street they all smelled so wonderful. I felt like Ella must feel -- perhaps the humidity or heightened senses or both...I seriously wanted to stop several and ask what they were wearing but was afraid my Spanglish would be misinterpreted :)
*Hotel floors in Mexico are numbered in the opposite direction - the top floor is the first, the bottom is the larger number. Our third floor was on the bottom.
*I had several run-ins, almost bodily run-ins with iguanas, tapirs and other animals in the early morning hours. Don't know who startled whom the most.
*The sun rises earlier in Mexico than it does in Texas.
*I never heard a single horn honk -- with all the almost near-misses, congestion, etc. - they just figure it out. Not one horn EVER honked.
*The Mexicans on the Yucatan Peninsula are the friendliest and most meticulous population I have ever encountered. A smile is always returned, every job is done with pride and there is a definite presence of conscientiousness in all that is done. They are usually sweaty (everyone is) but always cheerful. I love that.
*I never noticed how much alcohol is present at resorts -- waiters at the door ready to give you fancy drink, a hundred different kinds of tequila, so many different liquors. I remained thankful - enough said.
*All shops open and close at different times, often with an afternoon closing for siesta. Very different than in America where all open and close at once.
*I have never felt so welcomed and pampered than I did at our resort -- I totally recommend it.
*The Mexican woman had their hair pulled back in a ponytail or more often, chignon. Seldom wore makeup. They are beautiful women - inside and out.
*Seeing the coral reefs was like shaking hands with an old friend after a long absence. I cried in my snorkel mask. It won't be that long before we meet again.
*Zip lining was exhilarating, scary, exciting, and a great way to notice both the forest and the trees :)
*There is no color on earth more beautiful than the turquoise waters in the Carribean. Turquoise mixed with blue -- it doesn't get any better anywhere else. Amazing.
*Breakfast was accompanied by the biggest, most luscious, awesome raisins I have EVER seen. I HAVE to find some Mexican raisins here in Corpus Christi!
(At the fold of the barf bag...)
*Running down the streets in the morning feeling alternately exhilarated and exhausted by the beautiful scenery, heat and humidity -- I wondered how this would improve (or not) my running when I returned back to 'normal' conditions.
*The food was delicious and beautifully presented, served by cheerful staff who seemed totally invested into making their customers not just happy, but delighted - and truly beamed  when we told them how delicious everything was.

 That's what was on the bag. What I didn't write was that there were so many times when I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes, and my stomach hurt. So many times when the beauty and presence of One With More Power Than I overwhelmed me and moved me to tears. Experiences that are sweeter, more memorable and so wonderful when they are shared.

I remain Blessed Beyond Measure.



1 comment: