Tuesday, August 23, 2011

New Parking Garage!

We finally have a new parking garage on campus. After a year of losing 200 spaces (we don't have enough parking to begin with), dust, dirt, noise, etc. - it's finished! Right outside of my building, so convenient. And the thought of getting into a cool car at the end of the day - blissful. So, today was the day. We have been issued our hang tags that have an electronic thingie inside that is supposed to open the gate to the garage entrance. Faculty, staff and graduate students only mind you - students aren't allowed to use the garage. Go figure. I knew I should keep expectations in check when my hang tag was accompanied by a half page of instructions. I kid you not. I read them with my suite mate -- we knew this garage thing was too good to be true:
"There are two entrance lanes at the garage, and are identical in the way they function. The exit lanes are also the same. The gates have delayed times for several seconds, so both will not open at the same time. This is a safety factor to ensure two vehicles are not moving forward together....In the event the gate arm does not open, you can either press the call button or take a ticket from the dispenser and we will waive the fee.  The first few weeks (emphasis mine) will clear any problems with the permits and access."

So, I pulled up to the entrance this morning, my hang tag proudly displayed on the rear view mirror. Pulled up to the gate. There are four, yes FOUR policeman watching me. The gate does not open. I backed up and tried again, no change. The officer approaches my window. I hand him the hang tag, afraid I might not pass this test. He looks at it very carefully. Turns it over in his hands, and then looks at me over his sunglasses.

Officer: "First time to come here?"
Me: "Well, I've worked here for five and half years but yes, first time to come to..."
Officer (interrupts me): "Used the garage yet?"
Me: "Oh no, I just got the hang tag just yesterday from...."
Officer (interrupts me again): "Okay, hold on."
The officer goes to the front of the car, waves the hang tag around. Big circles. Nothing. Goes to the side of the car, waves again, nada. Repeats at the back of the car, and still no change.
Officer pushes a button and the gate opens. I begin to drive through, window still open.
Officer: "Nice car."

Now, I got in (finally) and while walking up to my office, wondered, will I be able to get out??


Ya just gotta love A&M. :)


Post Script written at 8:00 p.m.
Yes, I got the car out. But only after the policeman (different guy) told me to "wiggle my tag".
Lesson of the day...wiggle your tag.

Yeah. I love A&M  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment