Monday, November 28, 2011

Horseback Riding and a trip to Kerrville!

The next morning started with a little horseback riding. Now, you're not supposed to take pictures while riding...but I've never been very good at following directions, so I snuck in a few....

 Ron had a happy horse - see the smile? Bright eyes? Alert posture? Yes indeed, a happy horse.


 I got a grouchy-pants horse...she liked to nip the horse in front of us. She is actually frowning, head-down and downright angry at being asked to haul me around. That's a pout if I ever saw one....MAJOR Grouchy Pants.


 You can see the limestone outcrops on this contraband photo...they are amazing.


 The horse in front of me...trying not to get bit. Oh, and in front of her is Jackson, the world's biggest whiner. I really had hoped for a nice, peaceful, morning horse ride. Jackson didn't get that memo....


 Note how low the water was -- we hardly saw any water along the way. Note: We were riding along the margins of what was the Bandera river. It's amazing what drought can to do to the landscape.
It was about this point that the ride leader told me to put my camera away...so that's all for this report.

Next, we headed off to Kerrville. Here are some shots I took along the way:


 Buffalo - in Texas. Just like the old days, without the fence of course.


 Someone's running sheep. I LOVE the baby lambs!


 Water!! Yes, it was dammed in - beautiful to see.


 Texas Longhorn -- I will remind my Aggie readers that these are the Texas State Mammal....


And more of the scenic hill country. It was a gorgeous day.

Kerrville is named after James Kerr, a Major in the Texas Revolution, and friend of settler-founder Joshua Brown, who settled in the area to start a shingle-making camp. I don't know where all the shingles went, but it's a great community and I've spent a lot of time there over the years as it is home to first HEB in Texas - and shopping mecca for those living in Bandera and Medina. Hence, we got all our groceries at HEB and often stopped at Gibson's when visiting Me-Mom and Pop-pop.


Sonic has it's ever popular Happy Hour -- Root Beer and Orange Creamy Something-or-other coming up!

Gibsons! Yes, my kids loved this store. You can find ANYTHING from chicken wire to wired chickens to chicken feed. They have every pot, pan, tool, clothing item for summer or frost, tires, lawnmowers, barbecue grills or a cheapie birthday toy or anniversary card. Yes, the store even has it's own distinctive smell. You can't beat Gibsons!







We met some of Ron's awesome family at Mamacita's - Mexican food extraordinaire. I have NEVER seen a place that has been remodeled like this one. Once a quaint spot with stained glass windows, it now boasts a HUGE atrium (note the layered ceilings), hand-painted murals, large meeting rooms and several shops inside such as Starbucks and Dryers ice cream. A city within a restaurant - but the food is still wonderful and the company was even more so.

We took the return route that goes through Eagles Nest - the roads are VERY winding and the view at the top is extraordinary:




 See what I mean?


It was an AWESOME day - made some new friends, was happy to say good-bye to others (Jackson), and the company was outstanding. I do love the Texas Hill Country!

1 comment:

  1. I must comment that your posture and positioning on the horse was right on balance! Good thing with the "nasty" horse! I wish I could have been at mamacita's with you!!

    ReplyDelete