Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Vacation 2011

Ron and I had big plans for Thanksgiving -- we were scheduled to go diving in Roatan Bay Islands, Honduras. We have been planning for some time -- arrangements, flights, dives scheduled, etc. -- and then,  emergency surgery took place to fix his shoulder. What was supposed to be a relatively simple procedure (fix a torn rotator cuff) turned into a three hour major deal. Yeah...there was a lot of damage. And then the doctor emphatically proclaimed, "No Sir, no diving for you until after January." We were pretty disappointed to say the least.
Our family had made plans so we decided to make our own revised plan. I thought and thought about it. And then thought that since we both love the Texas Hill Country so much, why not avoid the airport havoc and drive for a vacation in Texas? I found a place to stay on the internet, and blindly made plans ---- taking a chance at a place I haven't been before, but trusting my instincts....it was awesome.

We spent four days driving, seeing some relatives, relaxing in the cool weather and taking in the sights. Horseback riding, shopping, eating LOTS, walking for miles and exploring some park areas. Someday I'd love to live in the Hill Country -- have a place with some goats, chickens, ducks, a couple of horses and a vegetable garden. Oh, and dogs.  A place where grandchildren and come and run around, much like my children made so many childhood memories in Medina, Texas at their grandparents home. Yes....this visit definitely solidified that dream. I really think it will happen.

What follows are a series of blogs of the Texas Hill country and some of our escapades. I hope you like them- and will also probably be sad to see how the drought -- the worst we have had in Texas in recorded history - continues to change the landscape that my children's Pop-Pop lovingly referred to as "God's Country".

No comments:

Post a Comment