Saturday, April 23, 2011

Taking a Chance

I love singing in the Corpus Christi Cathedral choir. It is a huge blessing, and an honor to be part of this group. Some of my closest and dearest friends are in the choir. We spend 5.5 hours per week practicing, sing a LOT, travel...it's like a second family. This week is no exception with it being Holy Week. Many rehearsals with the orchestra, Holy Mass on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday evening and of course Easter Sunday. The bishop has been celebrating Mass - I love him as he is a VERY eloquent and focused speaker. During Mass at the front of the church is a Cantor - he/she leads the people as they sing in worship. Sometimes the songs are solos, others are with the congregation. We have a LOT of talented people in our choir - some aren't Catholic! They come to participate and contribute their talent, and auditions are required.

My friends have been prodding me to audition for Cantor. I've been afraid - I hate rejection. Who likes to hear,"Sorry, try again next year" ? So, I've remained a member of the choir. But this year, I decided to put this in God's hands. Like many things, the decision shouldn't be mine. If I'm meant to help someone worship, I should put my own fears aside, right? Well, I prayed about it and took the attitude, "not my will, but Yours" and auditioned. There were four judges - members of the church with experience in music. And our  Choir Director for 30+ years, Lee, behind the piano. I had been given a piece of music that wasn't too complex. However, I wasn't expecting to see the judges when I walked into the room, with their clipboards and pencils and discerning looks - and that took me somewhat by surprise. I thought it was just going to be me and Lee. My heart skipped a beat. So...I said,'Let's get the party started" and everyone giggled. Lee told me how this would be conducted, asked if I had any questions, and began to play. I prayed for the thousandth time - "Your will, not mine".

I don't know where it came from - wait, yes I do - the voice was strong and unwavering. I thought about the words as I sang them, "Shout joyfully to God, all the earth, sing praise to the glory of His name...." from Psalm 66. At the conclusion, Lee looked at me and said, "Wow". Twice. They asked about my singing, how long, where, lessons, etc. I had an inkling I would be a Cantor. I left feeling that I had done my best, and no matter what the outcome, I gave it my best. That is a great feeling.

Last night I was handed my Cantor folder and music I will be singing in a month. At the front of the church. On television (our Sunday Mass is televised). I hope I can help many with their worship of our Lord.  I hope I do my best. I feel very blessed and humbled to part of this group!

"In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make."

1 comment:

  1. So I guess it runs in the family.
    It's what completes me with God.
    Good job.

    ReplyDelete