Thursday, April 14, 2011

Butterflies in my window!!

Elsie Gaertner is a wonderful artist and makes glass come to life --- in this case, butterflies! Last night my friend Jeff came over and and installed Elsie's windows while Elsie, Kathy and me watched intently. I LOVE THEM!    Here they are -- they change colors with the sunlight, and come alive with the shimmering glass.You can click on the pics and make them larger. I can't tell you how happy I am to look at these windows and feel so blessed to have such great friends!

Before: Three plain transom windows:

Jeff (the engineer) quickly figured out an easy way to install the windows. Fortunately, the base glass had been cut exactly to my specification (thank you Lady With The Apron at Lowe's ) and the finished windows fit perfectly! So he started to prepare....


Carefully placing it just so....


and being VERY careful not to let it drop! See the butterflies?! Three more windows, each carefully handcrafted with glass, butterflies and their trails, were installed. While all windows had the same theme, each butterfly is different. I love the trails and the background of differing types of iridescent glass:





This one is called "Kathy's Butterfly" as she donated these pieces of glass to the project. Oh I love it!





Jeff, Elsie and Kathy - the windows are gorgeous from both inside and outside! Hamburgers on the grill and great conversation wrapped up a wonderful evening. Butterflies in my windows....perfect.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I bet it fits in perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful. New to this and found your pictures. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete