Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's Official

The tick-tick-tick of the tenure clock that started ticking in my head 4.5 years ago has stopped. No longer push-push-push to get the next paper out, the next grant out, the best evaluations for teaching, chairing a million committees, and  so many weekends and holidays spent in my office. Thank you, GOD. Our Provost, Dr. Markwood, just hand delivered this letter and another concerning my successful promotion (yes, it's a two step process, and one can't occur without the other). 

Now, I will work just as hard but do a bit less of some things and more of others. Which means thinking more about teaching and service. Helping our teachers who are currently under attack on so many fronts. And most importantly, preparing future science teachers that are getting ready to enter classrooms that are overcrowded and underfunded, with tests that take the creativity and joy out of teaching - and being paid much less than they are worth. It's a tough time for our teachers - and a good time to be their advocate. I love the part in the letter that refers to expanding my teaching talents.I look forward to that and I couldn't be happier about this! Sleeves up and ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment