Friday, January 09, 2009

Welcome to the 21st Century Dr. Mac!


I'm pretty good with the computer and have a moderate working knowledge of things technical, but when it came to my stereo system and television, well, let's just say I was satisfied with the status quo. Though not an exact model, this is a close cousin of my 1972 stereo system. It was my ex-husband's, and I inherited the speakers when we parted ways:
The television I had came from a post-divorce (not mine) garage sale. I was excited because it came with a remote. A huge monster that I have cursed with every move.

JP very tactfully brought the antiquity of these things to my attention one weekend, and even went so far as to suggest that I give away the stereo and get a new one. I was highly offended. After all, it worked, right?? However, when Annie was moving from her apartment, JP and me went on a major cleaning the clutter spree and JP won -- Rudy the Mover took the stereo, the television, the cabinet, the speakers - and at least a hundred pair of shoes, clothing, down comforters (this IS South Texas!), assorted gadgets and knick-knacks and Lord only knows how many bags of clothing. Rudy was ecstatic. I was left with a lot of space, clean closets and cabinets (thank you JP!) and, no television or stereo.

I asked my son Scott for advice on a replacement system. He very patiently explained the pro's and cons of plasma vs. LCD, why Bose is worth the money, etc. etc. Then, I had to move the 50 gallon fish tank - that is another story, but everyone survived and is doing well:

Today, the Best Buy Geed Squad came by loaded with my new plasma television and sound system!
Mark the Geek was very nice and hooked everything up. He very patiently explained how to work the remotes and was even kind enough to write out instructions for me -- I'm a visual learner ya know. Then he left. I quickly pulled out my favorite Josh Groban DVD that I have previously only listened to, and was mesmerized. I literally had goosebumps! It looks like he is right in my living room and even better, it SOUNDS like he is in my living room. I am so pleased!!!!!

Come on over and I'll give you a demo. The best part: Mark the Geek told me that I got the best plasma on the market for the money and best sound system for my needs. Thank you Scott!!!!!!!



I have to go watch some televison now....

2 comments:

  1. In an odd twist of fate. EP and I are currently looking for a stereo system from 1972. Too bad we aren't closer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn! I'll be sure to check with you next time I try to unload some early married (i.e. 1970's) stuff!

    ReplyDelete