Sunday, January 04, 2009

Sweet spots


I've been taking voice lessons. Not because I don't know how to sing as I have been singing in choirs all my life, but because, well....after an 8 year hiatus, my voice was not there. I mean, enough to suffice and certainly okay, but not THERE. So, I thought some professional coaxing was in order. I had several lessons. After many hours of practicing, today I found there are several voices available. They all appear randomly during my little practice sessions. My teacher, who is awesome, continued to try to coax yet ANOTHER voice forward. Yes, this is like Sybil...and I was having a devil of a time finding THE ONE. Well, today, we did.

I figured it out. I could never explain how ...it took a LOT of practice. Today, Cherie's voice came forward. The instructor was blown away. "How did you find it", he asked. I said, "I listened to so many singing (this assigned song) and decided to experiment. This is what you told me to do. I finally figured it out." It was such a moment. He so pleased, me so pleased. The tonality worked with anything I was given to do. I found my voice today.

I spent the day playing my piano - Bach, Beethoven, and Five for Fighting. So many songs. And then I practiced singing. Dinner with Annie and Audrey.

Once again, my heart is so full.

I can't wait for the next lesson. We are working on a piece and I am learning so much -- the lyrics are awesomeness. I shall post them once I have mastered the piece. Five lines that bring a person to their knees.

I read something today that meant so much to me, and I am reminding myself of what it says/means. I really, really think THIS is what got me to this point today:

"It doesn't matter to God how much you do in a day. What matters to God is how much you love what you do." ~Mother Theresa.

I want to wake up to that thought every day. I found my voice today. I wonder what I will find in the coming days....

3 comments:

  1. So impressed with the singing! I typically only sing in the shower, or my car on the open road. It's where I sound the best, although others may beg to differ!

    One of the things I want to do this year is tap into my creative self more and you have certainly inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys should of heard me and Coldplay in the Camry yesterday. Stellar!

    Cherie Mac, how much would I love to hear you and FP Brewer sing together?!?! I know he loved his voice lessons and I expect you will as much as he did. Great stuff. I wonder where the heck these singing genes went in the family. Perhaps skipped a generation? I guess I've never really heard Erica or Dave, but I know I most definitely didn't get 'em. At least, outside of Coldplay moments that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EP if you and Big Blue's Driver decide to have a repeat performance of the wedding or a similar celebration, FP and I would be happy to oblige with a superlative rendition of your choice! You could have blue accessories, maybe at the ski slopes, MUCH wine in fancy barrels, Bocci at the reception and many flower girls and mini-groomsmen in attendance :)

    ReplyDelete