Wednesday, April 03, 2013

"It starts as a hobby and becomes a lifestyle."

I saw that as a line in a blog about someone who raises German Shorthaired Pointers. Yes, having one of these dogs is exactly that - something that starts as a hobby and becomes a lifestyle. I am so glad to have Gretel in my life, and will tell you, she has definitely changed my lifestyle.

Used to - stay at work all day, not really caring what time I got home. Now? I can't wait to leave and see her, walk her, or just hang out. Used to - leave stuff on counters and on the floor like people usually do. Now? Hide the remotes, the shoes, the contact lens cases, the books, the magazines, the guitar tuner...anything within reach (and that includes countertops and end tables) is game for a good chew. Used to - have an immaculate back yard with the rocks arranged just so, plants in containers, vegetables growing peacefully in the back, birds at the feeder. Now? I wouldn't know where to begin to describe the changes except NOTHING has been untouched. It's all rearranged, and looks nothing like it did when I moved in. Semi-controlled chaos all over. Used to - read a book or watch a TV show alone. Now? Never alone - she's at my side, my "velcro" dog.
See the picture up there? That was taken the morning she was watching the birds at the feeder from the window. Only that morning, she decided she would jump THROUGH the window to get the birds.


Sometimes I wonder how it is that, with all the above, I love her so much. But I do. Tomorrow she will try my patience for the millioneth time and I will smile and pet her suede-soft ears and tell her she's a good girl and get a sloppy kiss in return.  She does get a little better every day, but at 10 months I thought she would be finished with the puppy stage. I read it lasts till about 2 years. I hope I have enough shoes and contact cases to last me until then....


No comments:

Post a Comment