Thursday, July 01, 2010

Galveston, Oh Galveston




I had the chance to take some time and go see Mom --- everyone should take time to go see their Mom and this was my Mom's birthday so it was even more special. Just some random shots of her 2nd home in Galveston, which by the way, completely escaped the devastation left by hurricane Ike two summers ago. We had a blast. In a perfect world, we would have many birthdays and more time to visit our Moms!



Yes, I took this photo - brand new (burnt orange) camera. The pelican definitely knew he was being singled out for a very important reason. I love these birds. You can read more about that here. They are one of the biggest joys I experience by living on the Gulf Coast - I see them every day in Corpus Christi and they always make me so happy.


Mom buying fresh shrimp while I am outside ravishing the pelicans.


The source for the fresh shrimp...and lots of other freshly caught seafood. YUM!



A favorite lunch spot - the Mosquito Cafe. Named after a large shrimp fleet, the restaurant suffered much damage from Ike. However, it's up and running again and we are VERY glad! Had a wonderful lunch with the birthday Lady!



Today's specials. The food is delish!




I had to get a shot of these...seeing them STILL makes me hungry!! Perfection!



Mom's 2nd little vacation house. It's for sale - life changes and sometimes you know when it's time to let things go. I love this little house and am trying very hard to figure out a way to get it to Corpus Christi....



The living area -




The dining room - love the table and chairs. By the way, the house comes with all the furniture you see. For real.




The master bedroom. This place housed office spaces when Mom bought it. She had the whole house remodeled as you see here. Amazing, isn't it? Here is some more amazing history about this house:




The house was literally put on a truck and moved to it's current location on Broadway back in the 1990's. What an ordeal --- and obviously, it did not suffer from the ride. It was one of the few homes on Broadway to escape any damage from Ike. A miracle in my humble opinion.



Like everything else you see, this picture of the Galveston Bathing Beauty contest in 1922 stays with the house. There is much history in Galveston - and history that is currently being written.




Some more living area. I love it!



This is my very favorite Pomeranian on the planet ever - Allie. She doesn't come with the house. I'm trying to figure out how I can sneak her to Corpus Christi!

A great weekend, great times, and a great woman. I love you Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment