Thursday, October 02, 2008

Gearing up for GEAR-UP!


You know how you get phone calls/requests you avoid because someone wants something and you don't have the time?? I finally accepted the call - and went for an interview. Gear-Up (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a Dept of Education funded program that involves collaborative efforts between colleges and other entities to prepare our students for college. Specifically, those students in underserved (minority) populations. Someone recommended me to be a "faculty fellow" for this program and I've been avoiding her calls...until this week. Now, I am super excited. Yes, this is EXACTLY what I have wanted to do since beginning my teaching career - it EXACTLY matches what I wanted to do when I completed my education and training as a doctoral student, and is EXACTLY why I wanted to come to south Texas. The work involves driving 90 miles to a struggling middle school in Falfurrias Texas. I will be helping the science teachers teach science with creativity and energy and never even MENTION the TAKS test. Help the students get excited about college and see it as a real possibility rather than an unreachable dream. I've been talking to a lot of people, trying to figure out how to squeeze this time into an already overloaded schedule, but...I plan to involve my students in this effort as they learn to teach science as well! How cool is that? I think I've got it worked out - I'm talking to my Department Chair tomorrow. I can't tell you how excited I am at the prospect!! I am so joyful as the possibilities are limitless, and I do love middle school students - this is where I earned my first experience as a science teacher. Ohhh my goodness! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment