Saturday, October 04, 2008

Corpus Christi Pontifical Choir Member



I've been practicing with this group of about 80 people for three weeks, three hours on Thursday evening after a full day of work and teaching. Weekday rehearsals are held in a room with linoleum floors and steel folding chairs - the school and church, while beautiful, are very old. There is a piano. And a very, very gifted choir director/organist who is, quite literally, world renowned. I have never practiced singing like this before - we never sing the whole piece! We tackle about 10-15 different pieces and go in and do parts with the men in one room and women in the other. We do parts of the pieces - the hard parts. And then go to the next piece and do the same. The last 30 minutes is when the men come back in and we sing some of it together, but still, never the whole song. It's laborious, but the people are so nice, so lighthearted and the director keeps things moving along. I have to tell you it's exhausting, difficult, and I really wondered if this was going to be worth the work.
The last hour on Thursday, I received my choir robe. And my brand new music notebook with my name on it. We left the rehearsal room and went into the church, and up three flights of stairs to the choir loft. I helped a lady with bad knees and I figured this must be pretty special if she was willing to do this climb. She mentioned she had been in the choir for 17 years and she loved it.

When we got upstairs, there is an AWESOME view of the church. I had to hold back tears. It was AMAZING. Then, the director started to play the organ, and we sang - the whole piece. All 80 voices with the magnificent organ accompaniment, and the hard parts went without a hitch. I cannot tell you how my heart was so full, the sound so glorious, I KNEW this was worth it. I was in awe.
I can't wait for Sunday - our first mass as the choir takes a break from July - September and the mass is televised every week for those who cannot attend. I just cannot wait! I am so thankful to be part of something so very, very special!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really neat. Do they offer a podcast of your choir performing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is both audio/video and podcast - see this page:
    http://www.goccn.org/mass.cfm

    BTW, Annie is there attending mass as well. She is the one with the long hair and beautiful smile :)

    ReplyDelete