Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Building A Mommy Legacy


The days are so busy I can hardly keep up with my own schedule. Today was no different. Back-to-back meetings interrupted by class. There was no break, but I have to say, while exhausting (and a bit tedious as I am fighting a cold and have laryngitis!), I loved it. At 2:30 I left my domain and crossed campus from the Science and Technology building
and headed to another. There, sitting in a chair with notebooks askew, was Annie. Today was her last clinical test. And I was the 'patient'. She was nervous. Last night during our rehearsal (accompanied by two cats and a 2 year old) she seemed a bit overwhelmed. Today was no different.
We went through over one hour of tests - I can't tell you all the things she did in front of the (very sweet)clinical nurse with the checklist. She looked at me many times, in my eyes -- you know -- THE LOOK -- and I looked back to tell her "you are doing fine. Keep smiling." She did. She passed -- all 160 tests (that is not a typo). She missed 11 things. She REALLY passed.
Very soon, 12 hour hospital shifts will comprise the next phase of her training. Audrey's comings and goings will be of great concern and yours truly will be taking up the slack - and happy to do so. What to do about travel, late nights at work, choir gigs, social things...I don't know. We will figure it out. One thing I have learned -- when things are meant to be, they do work out. Don't worry--it's a waste of time. THEY WILL work out.

I had lunch at 4:30 - followed by some more meetings. But all the while, I could only think of how far Annie has come.

Some day Audrey will be writing a story about her Mommy. I can't wait to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment