Monday, January 30, 2012

Update...

I am hearing a lot of negativity at work these days...for a lot of reasons. None of which are worth fleshing out here. What scares me is that the complaining seems to be lowering expectations, making it acceptable to excuse mistakes that cause others money/time/consternation, passing the buck. Today, a wake-up call when one of my University-funded programs management teams discussed lowering standards. In short, become mediocre.

It was hard not to lose my temper.  I let my thoughts be known and then was quiet.We shall see how things go.


Here is, basically, what I said:

I hate mediocrity. Mediocrity is a silent killer. It tells you that you'll be fine staying where you are and that you need to be content with it. It guilts you into thinking you're wrong for wanting better. Stop it today. Set our sights high and don't settle for less than you want or deserve. It will never be possible to feel fulfilled and productive while in a state of mediocrity. Make a decision today - and let greatness happen. 


I want greatness at my University. I know it's capable of greatness. We have great people and great students. It's a matter of changing the way we are thinking -- I'd hate to become mediocre.


Sigh...it's been a long day. But sometimes, you just can't be silent.



No comments:

Post a Comment