Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spring Concert

Our annual spring concert at the Corpus Christi Cathedral is a bit different than usual. Generally we have two performances  on a Friday evening and Saturday matinée, each underwritten by grants and large contributions from local corporations - free to the public. The Cathedral is always packed - standing room only. We would perform various works, some secular, others sacred, all entertaining and accompanied by an orchestra. This year, the spring concert is being dedicated to the  memory of deceased members of our 25+ year choir. It is appropriately titled "The Choir of Angels" concert, one performance only. The ONE main piece with a few others is Faure's Requiem. When I first learned we were going to be learning this piece (the choral score is over 90 pages), I ordered a CD and listened. I cried several times throughout. Especially during the Sanctus --- here is a youtube video...and the Pie Jesu and Agnus Dei - increase the voices to over 100 and if these pieces don't move your spirit, you're dead. I don't know if I am going to be able to sing this in it's entirety without choking up ---- seriously. It is that beautiful.

We perform this weekend. Rehearsals have been numerous and tedious and I can tell that our director and assistant director are concerned that certain passages are still, well, rough and need more practice. Extra rehearsals were added this week. No mistakes permitted. Shaping the phrases, working on articulating, blending perfectly, always striving to improve. And then there are the soloists -- I have no idea how their rehearsals are going. I can't wait to hear them!

I know from experience that when we assemble in the beautiful cathedral Sunday evening, people and orchestra in place in the choir loft, that the Holy Spirit will be there as well. So will the memory of many loved ones who have joined us in our lives. I know it will be outstanding, and beautiful. And I know I will be thinking of my deceased loved ones, lifting my voice in their memory, feeling so grateful to be given the opportunity to do so.

1 comment:

  1. So how could they possibly not select YOU as a soloist?
    We're waiting anxiously for the post-concert post!

    ReplyDelete