Monday, May 23, 2011

Post-concert review

...posted in response to FP Brewer's request (AKA my brother :)

I realized on Sunday that we have been rehearsing Faure's Requiem since before the New Year. The Requiem is a Mass written and sung for the dead. Faure wrote this work in the late 1800's. Literally WRITTEN on a manuscript - that photo is a page from the original. A LOT OF TIME practicing and rehearsing - both on my own and with the choir - has gone into this. I also realized that just like a true friend, the more I got to know this Mass and all it's intricateness and beauty, the more I loved it. And, again like a true friend, I was going to miss it - I mean REALLY miss not practicing it any longer after the concert ended. Not hearing how the parts fit together, or hearing the beautiful melodies and harmonies. Honestly, after saying "this is my favorite part" so many times, a friend remarked that I had so many favorite parts perhaps I should just say, "This is my favorite Mass"! So, while driving to the concert on Sunday I made a promise to enjoy and savor  every moment...to read the words and think about my Dad. That was my state of mind when I stood on a riser that was part of our stage and saw a packed Cathedral, standing among to my dear choir friends and seeing the orchestra assembled. "This prayer is for you Dad."

The music was incredible. The Spirit moved us -- no, the Spirit ROCKED our world. I choked up several times and had to really focus - the solists were awesome. And FPB you are too kind --- one must put in much time and become quite experienced before they are asked to solo in our choir  -- other than cantering which is the first step and I've taken it. But, perhaps if God wills, that day will come.

We sang our hearts out, the orchestra played flawlessly, and our efforts were richly rewarded with the beautiful music that all enjoyed. I can't remember when I've enjoyed a performance more. And, I know it was because my Dad was listening. And also because I was saying good-bye to a friend.

After the concert, my friend Kathy had a post-concert party at her house -- it was great, her husband Jeff made awesome homemade pizza and everyone had a blast. My choir friends - they are really my family as well.

So FP Brewer --- perhaps one day you can come and hear a concert. Or, even better, save your pennies because next June (2012) we have been invited to sing a Papal Mass in...IRELAND!  I hear they have great beer there :) Would love to have you and Babs come along!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. Bravo! Yay dad and Waywee!
    Hey...if you solo in Ireland I may have to consider making the trip.
    And yes, the Red Ale is the BEST in Ireland...

    ReplyDelete