Saturday, January 30, 2010

I Miss The Wildflowers



Texas has some gorgeous wildflowers. I took two plant taxonomy courses as an undergrad, the second because "upper level credit" would not transfer at Baylor, and I L-O-V-E-D them. Everyone struggled with the botanical stuff, the hundreds of definitions all in Latin, the many hours involving patience and a keen eye to key out (identify) an unknown plant -- I loved every minute of it. I would go all over central Texas ("The Wildflower Capital" as of 1990's) and collect plants, identify and press them in a portable drying apparatus, noting the location in my field notes. Later, take out the dried plant in the permanent shape I had given it and mount on botanical paper. Many are still in the herbarium at Baylor. It was a labor of love and I was so proud to contribute.

Of course, you see a lot more than wildflowers on these excursions. I love birding and I would see many feathered friends -- would quickly switch from plant to bird field guide as I donned binoculars to see who was in the area. Some snakes, amphibians and other reptiles were there too - probably enjoying the warmth of spring as much as I was.

This past spring we did not have ANY wildflowers. The drought that besieged Texas and other regions put a halt to those little seeds that needed water to germinate. Many birds did not even stop here to feed along their migration route - no food. There was a general lack of any wildlife, and certainly a lack of color. It was, quite literally, a spring without flowers. Some personal things added to a feeling of grey in what should have been very vibrant Spring days.

Not this Spring. Thus far, we have made up for our lack of rainfall and are no longer in a drought. We are on track for what should be an awesome spring. My plan is go out and explore the places that I have written in my logs - I'm sure some of them are covered over in concrete, but there are still farms and acres of fertile soil to be combed over. Take some flowers, identify, press them and place the best ones in protective glass frames.

I can't wait for Spring and flowers. Not the kind someone brings me, but the kind that I find...planting my own garden and decorating my own soul. Those are gifts from God.

1 comment: