Thursday, January 28, 2010

Vertical Blinds and Words on Paper


I deal with stress by cleaning. I always have. My apartment was the cleanest one in Austin during finals week. Something about the whir of the vacuum or the smell of clean that settles the soul in turmoil....

In the "much ado about everything" column of life, there has been much ado. First, I have successfully prepared two manuscripts for publication. One goes out tomorrow (after a final read in the morning) and the other over the weekend. So much work - writing, editing, and then the formatting (and then of course I have my JOB to do)--- each journal has it's own set of formatting rules. It's ridiculous. It took me just as long to correctly format the 2nd manuscript as it did to write it!

Then, last weekend the cleaning bug persisted. 216 vertical blinds each cleaned individually by hand (as I mulled over my papers). 4 sets of sliding glass doors that needed attention. Filthy. So was the mini blind I cleaned. It was so filthy I tore the thing out of the hangers and threw it in a bathtub full of chlorox and Mr. Muscle. On Saturday, some big brawny guys came and cleaned the carpet and baseboards. Even Ella couldn't escape-- got a clip and a bath. Many clothes and some shoes donated to Salvation Army and we called it a weekend and back to work.

This week -- another paper (another idea) and there are those pesky cabinets under the kitchen and bathroom sinks.

This tenure track deal will either result in a fully tenured me or at the very least a sparkling place to live. I hope, and pray, for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment