Thursday, August 21, 2008

Jen and her Medals

My oldest daughter has a lot of stories, and some of those stories are wrapped up in these:Here is what they mean, by row and ribbon:
1-1 Joint Service Achievement Medal; 1-2 Navy and Marine Corps Achievement; Medal 1-3Meritorious Unit Commendation; 2-1 Navy 'E' Ribbon; 2-2 National Defense Service Medal; 2-3 Iraq Campaign Medal with Eagle Globe and Anchor; 3-1 Global War On Terror Expeditionary Medal 3-2; Global War On Terror Service Medal; 3-3 Humanitarian Service Medal; 4-1 Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, 2 stars; 4-2 Navy Marksman Rifle; 4-3 Navy Marksman Pistol. And this is the prize - her wings - I was given one when she completed her flight training:
and finally this one: received recently on her last tour in Iraq: The Fleet Marine Force medal. The scale is incorrect -- the latter actually is much larger than her wings - way larger. And deservedly so -- a lot of work, courage and time went into getting the FMF medal.

Here is the thing that blows me away -- I didn't know about any of these awards. Jen's brother, Scott, asked me if I knew Jen had received the "FMF" medal. I had no idea what that was and asked - he told me. He also told me that Jen had four rows of ribbons on her Navy uniform.

Jen isn't one to brag or even talk about herself. She just goes through life with this wonderful attitude, always happy, even when in Iraq on her tours (yes, plural). To her, everything is an adventure. Something to be explored. Challenges are nothing but a minor - and very surmountable - inconvenience. I can't tell you the times I would be worried and Jen would say (and I quote), "oh well, it's no biggie Mom. No worries". Jen going off to the Naval Academy; Jen doing flight training in jets, shuttles and helicopters; Jen taking off in helicopters from ships on convoys all over the world; Jen stationed in a military installation in Iraq; and Jen carrying her electronic piano to play at over 30 Christmas services - through enemy territory. "No worries Mom."

A beautiful character and a woman who has accomplished so much. There are so many stories in those ribbons. I love the woman behind them.

3 comments:

  1. You should be very proud to be her mother. You have been a good role model for her in many ways. I hope to see the ribbons and medals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen - serving her country with honor and without complaint, allowing us to sleep securely at night knowing that those who wish us and our country harm will not prevail!
    And she's a pretty darned good niece, too, always calling to check on her aunt and uncle.
    Thanks Jen. I love you Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to Jenn, and a wonderful education about the accomplishments of a Naval Officer! Thanks for sharing the explanation, and your daughter.--Her Auntie Babs

    ReplyDelete