Thursday, September 01, 2011

New Title

Today marks the first day of my new title - Associate Professor. I have been introduced at college meetings the pat two weeks with new title, and last Friday the Provost had a reception for me and the 15 others throughout Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi who were also promoted in 2011. Fifteen sounds like a lot -- we recently learned that over 60 went up for promotion last year at our university. Therefore, most were denied. I know God was working on my behalf. As soon as I gave up, took my hands off the steering wheel and turned the process over to Him, things went incredibly and miraculously smoothly as papers got published, grants were funded and teaching became effortless -- or at least it appeared that way :)

There are new business cards and other associated forms of identity that have been revised and/or reprinted. The old went into the recycling bin -- no longer appropriate. I received a small but appreciated payraise -- especially in light of the huge budget cuts that hit the education system in Texas. No one is getting a payraise or merit raise or even a cost of living raise this year - unless you were promoted.  But, there are new responsibilities as well. More work, more mentoring, and way more committees to sit on/chair/keep up with. It's all part of the deal. And I welcome them all.

I am elated and spent the summer revamping some science content curriculum that needed updating and revising another manuscript that will soon be published. And playing...for the first summer since I've been here -- going to the beach, reading books that aren't related to science education, and traveling. It's been AWESOME.

I am so thankful. And, thinking of the day when I will make Full Professor. Maybe. Right now I am going to enjoy the fruits of my labor :)

No comments:

Post a Comment