Thursday, September 08, 2011

Problems and Dreams

It seems that there has been a bunch on my plate lately. Problems at work - good problems, a result of a program that I've helped to create that is going into it's 6th and final year of funding, is now being institutionalized. That means, it's going BIG. Which means more work, more students, more rooms needed, more students...I wake up in a cold sweat thinking of yet another thing I need to do to make this successful. Then, there is my granddaughter who I have not seen except for a brief visit in June. I miss her so much it hurts inside. I get a card from her and I cry... I see a picture of her in her first-day-to-school clothes (that I sent) and her backpack (almost as big as she is) and I cry. And then there are the day to day things I deal with, students who need help - sometimes A LOT of help, more and more committees and work and ...well.Today I decided it was time to settle down and solve some problems....
-- Made several phone calls and got the classrooms (17 of them) that I needed at certain times during the week for our grant work. It's a miracle but in the end, I just wouldn't take 'no' for an answer. No more waking up at night worrying about this...yay!
-- Made flight reservations to go to California and spend a long weekend with Annie, Audrey and John -- and maybe Jen!!! I can't wait!!! I will miss a day of classes...somehow I don't think my students will mind :)
--Solved some problems I was given by Faculty Senate...more checks off the list.
--Scheduled my Master's graduate student for her thesis defense...now she HAS to finish writing
(and will graduate in December)!
 --Am bound and determined to complete the 18 mile training run scheduled for this Saturday. A least the weather is a bit cooler. 4 a.m start time....
--Downloaded some more cool tunes for the above -- gotta keep shuffling!

I know, it's not what our President has to contend with, but at least it's a start. My heart feels lighter....maybe I'll even run a little faster :)


No comments:

Post a Comment