Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vacation in Cancun Mexico!




Sun, fun, great food, nice people - I love the Mexican culture and the native Mexicans. Some pics of the trip ----
I KNEW the trip was a good decision when I looked out the window after touchdown and saw a pelican painted on the tail of the plane next to ours. Pelicans are sorta my alter ego - you can read more about that here.

Here are several views of the resort where I stayed - I could not get enough of looking at the beautiful, clear, navy blue Carribean:





The resort was "all inclusive",meaning that all food and drinks were included in your stay. The food was FABULOUS. Especially the fruits and vegetables!! Going to dinner:


Fresh Sea Bass and salad with goat cheese:
Using my primitive Spanish I managed to take a bus and go into town for shopping and had a blast. The malls are outdoor and include many Western stores as well as native shops. A surprising factoid: all the stores open at different times!



Another day I went scuba diving off the coast of Isla Mujares - Island of Women. Its off the coast of Cancun - you have to take a ferry there. I LOVED this island. It's still Mexican in culture, is quiet and the biodiversity has been preserved. The reefs were not in great shape - two hurricanes in 2004 did a LOT of damage. Still, it was great to dive, to see the marine life and be in the tropical, clear waters of the Carribean:


I saw a lot of interesting critters including sea turtles - the Hawksbill is my favorite - rays, many colorful fish, dolphin that followed the ferry, taking a look at us. Also saw puffer fish, some cool invertebrates, the proverbial sea cucumbers, corals and sponges. It was great. I can't wait to go diving again!

Mexico has, sadly, become very Westernized - I was disappointed to see natives hawking cotton candy and trinkets up and down the beautiful beaches. But then I am reminded that they are so poor and the only way they can really make any money is off the tourists.

I had a great time - and can't wait to go to another destination next summer!

4 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic and I'm so glad you went - you look so happy! Last year, BV and I went to Holbox island a couple of hours north of Cancun - check it out. It's a tiny no-car island and they've managed to preserve the non-westernized Mexico you mentioned remembering. It's gorgeous, authentic, quiet, slow and we l-o-v-e-d every second of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked like a great time Cherie Mac! Crazy that a pelican was on the plane! Definitely meant to be! I love that pic of you on the bench, and you know I love a good shot of the food! That sea bass looked divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!! The blue waters look so serene. You look fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete