Friday, March 13, 2009

Smoky Mountains


I am heading here in a bit. A woman that I've known since I was 16, my sweetie JP's mom Ruth Elizabeth Piland is having her 84th birthday (born in 1925 on St. Patrick's day). She and Joe have been married for nearly 62 years in June. It will be a wonderful celebration. Ruth is a woman who provides the best example of what it means to be wife, mother, grandmother and WOMAN. I am proud to know her.

The Smoky Mountains as they are called really do look smoky....this fog, which is most common in the morning and after rainfall, is the result of warm humid air from the Gulf of Mexico cooling rapidly in the higher elevations of Southern Appalachia. There are black bears in abundance as well as lots of salamanders. I prefer to meet the latter in person.

Details - and pics - will follow. Suffice to say -- I am looking forward to this trip, on so many levels.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are going with me to NC. And somehow you always get in a science lesson....
    Ruth and Joe are looking forward to seeing you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Science, for me, is developing an understanding of what is given to us by a(n) (insert creator/diety/name/ruler/scientist/teacher of your belief) to protect and defend what has been given to us as environmental stewards and guardians.

    ReplyDelete