Friday, June 20, 2008

Marathons and Prayer

Iwo Jima Monument - Starting Point for the Marine Corps Marathon

I love to run - but as I've become older and hate to admit it-- my running is slower and now I run/walk. That's okay -- I decided a long time ago I'd rather walk/run for the rest of my life than push it and risk not running or walking at all. I know too many people that tell me they can't run anymore. I don't ever want to say that. I've completed three marathons between 1999 and 2002. Since then, I've been running on and off, but have felt no real sense of commitment for it. Jen and I were going to do a marathon in 2005, but the Navy had other plans for her. It's hard to train in Fallujah. All that sand. This is the swimming pool she had there:

"Iraqi Country Club "- Jen at pool in Fallujah

Since moving to Corpus Christi in 2006, I found a great route in a residential neighborhood and Ella and me started running again - intermittently you understand. Then, Jen came home from her last tour in Iraq and suggested we do the Marine Corps Marathon in DC this year in October. We will run in memory of a very good friend of hers that was killed in Iraq. I met and knew Capt. Kevin Kryst very well. A Marine. A huge tragedy and tremendous loss. So I said, - "SURE! Why not?!" Ella and I have been out there regularly for almost two months now. Thanks to a great little knee brace and some common sense, I am doing the marathon training schedule. 3-5 miles a day, long runs on Fridays, adding a mile each week over 18 weeks... yeah. We're working up to a 21 mile Friday run. Not fun. This is south Texas you understand. Its HOT and the humidity rarely drops below 90%. Ella gets left behind on Fridays and I think she is glad. And after that - a full day of work! Ahhh yes. A cranky Dr. Mac on Friday's. God help me - I am going to do this.

I have learned to pray while running-- I pray at every mile and offer that mile up for someone or something in particular. A friend that has cancer and is having a double mastectomy following her chemotherapy -- my first mile (Deb...for you). For my friends and family - second mile. For my father Edwin - may he rest in peace- third mile. Get it? I have these items listed on an index card - when I run it's hard to remember certain things so I refer to my card often. I run and pray. It makes the time go by quickly...and my knee doesn't hurt.

October 26th 2008 - Jen will be there, John will be there, other people that Jen has invited. I will have my index card, and will be running. I pray I can finish. And my knee -- it's never felt better. I'm gonna do this. 26.2 miles on October 26th. Stay tuned!

Note: for those of you who are tempted to do a run and want to remain virtually injury free - whether its a mile, 5K, 10K, half- or full-marathon, I recommend Jeff Galloway's Book on Running. This is how I started many years ago and still use his recommendations!


1 comment:

  1. Dr. Mac, I hope you cross that finish line with your daughter! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete