Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Swimming with Dolphins...maybe

The Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network (TMMSN) is a non-profit organization to further the understanding and conservation of marine mammals through rescue and rehabilitation, research and education. Our College of Science and Engineering does research in this area, and sent out an email fishing (pun intended) for volunteers. I put my hand up - electronically of course. I've been told there is some training (I expected that), some videos to watch (cool~!) and some information to learn - some of which will not be pleasant. Evidently the area covered by TMMSN extends from the Sabine River to Brownsville, and includes first response services in this area as well as Western Louisiana. Big territory. There are a lot of education and research opportunities as well - including the Moody Gardens in Galveston and a Whales on Wheels program. I am really looking forward to learning more about this and getting involved. I'm sure some of the stories do not have happy endings...but the ones that DO have happy endings are the ones we remember :) Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment