Monday, October 17, 2011

Harbor Bridge Half Marathon






It was a beautiful morning as about 1500 runners met before the sun rose in downtown Corpus Christi. The Harbor Half means you get to run over the huge Harbor Bridge (pictured), then down the causeway over the bay and back. So...you catch the bridge coming and going. Let me tell you, as we headed out and I found several friends, it was awesome -- the views, the company, the excitement -- felt great. I stopped and took several photos along the way...


 Me and my friend Katie - she was doing her first 10K (6 miles) that morning. This was taken as we were waiting for the start.
 Walking backwards...coming up to the bridge...
 USS Lexington taken from top of bridge...she is an awesome ship.
 The Art Center - and part of the newly designed bayfront.
 The sun rose as we were on the bridge...I had tears it was soooo beautiful.
 Yes, I took this picture...this view, to me, was worth running 13.1 miles on a Sunday....
The causeway linking Corpus Christi to Portland..it was long, but the sun had not yet completely risen.


At the turn around, things were feeling pretty great. However, getting back to the bridge and it's huge incline at mile 11 and in the blazing sun (it was now past 9:00) was tough. However, this pic and the view the can only be partially revealed via photography made the trek up the bridge TOTALLY worthwhile:




It's hard to tell how long you've been running as time goes fast at some points and painfully slow at others. I had a target time I wanted to make this run in -- and at the finish, I was ecstatic to find I finished under my target time by 2 minutes. Awesome, given the fact that it got so hot at the end! It was a totally awesome day filled with great times, good memories, friends, and beauty. Blessed beyond measure....

No comments:

Post a Comment