Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Screech Owls Resurface in Mac-dom

"I spent four years researching a population of eastern screech owls in suburban Temple Texas." That is the line that begins literally dozens of talks I have given on this project that culminated in a master's thesis, but contained so many life lessons and academic ones that I continue to use every day. I loved these critters. They nested in one of 20 owl boxes that I had set up with my academic mentor - Dr. Fred Gehlbach. I dutifully checked all the boxes every five days for the 3 month nesting season over a four year period. I took my 7th graders and eventually my college students out to the field site to see how we 'do' biology - and it isn't with pocket protectors and beakers! I saw starlings mating in the box, hundreds of wildflowers, snakes, hawks who ate my nestlings, cranes migrating, honeybees that took over a box, other owls, thousands of birds -- I loved being in the field. This fall, there is an interested consortium that wants to fund a screech owl study here in Corpus Christi. This will be post tenure review and I will have some time once again! Yes, I want to do another owl study. And take school children and college students out in the field. The Welder Wildlife Refuge is within driving distance and they want this as much as I do. The owls are calling.

I am submitting an online journal article regarding this study to Nature. Fingers are crossed. The editor contacted me with this interest and I need these publications. What is really important to me is that the owls have taught me so many lessons - now more people can read about that. They are good, positive lessons concerning their cohabitation with humans in sharing and protecting our environment.

Here are some photos for your enjoyment. It's been a blast going back through the data and remembering my feathered friends!!!

Grey phase roosting (resting) pose during the daytime

Screech owl peeking out of the nest box (they normally live in tree cavities but have no preference between nest boxes or natural cavities)

The female incubates eggs for approx 28 days, and is totally dependent on her monogomous mate to bring her food. She also stays in the box when the nestlings are first born until they are large enough to stay warm on their own.


red phase female flying from the nest box - their wing span is impressive and they don't make a sound when they fly


banding the nestlings - we band the female and all nestlings so we can ID the owls:

red phase female feeding an older nestling


Here are six siblings - posed for the shot. They will leave the nest, hanging out with parents for a couple of months and learning to fly and capture food. Then, they disperse to new territory. You can hear them calling pre-dawn and at dusk during spring and summer.


I hope to be adding some current shots from Corpus Christi research that is planned in future. Stay tuned!!!!

4 comments:

  1. That's very interesting. Thanks.
    I'm a Barred Owl person myself. They called to me when we used to fish the rivers. Ever do anything with Barred Owls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barred owls are gorgeous - and their call is so distinctive! However, they eat my screech owls so we did not make friends. If use the google scholar toolbar you can find some interesting research on Barred owls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Mac,
    Yesterday I made a trip to half price for school books where i discovered "Messages from the Wild". 10 pages into it i wanted to find out if screech owls can be found in CC. I have volunteered at the ARK where we took in barn owls and horned owls, but never saw a screech owl. I searched for screech owls in CC and discovered your blog where i came to find out that Dr. Gehlbach was your mentor for your masters! I spent my adolescent years in Georgetown, TX exploring a similar ravine that is described in his book, so his writings strike a cord with my own experiences and mean a lot to me. Now i wish i had spent more of my time as an undergrad quietly observing my natural surroundings rather than simply playing in it. Coastal nature is the reason i came to TAMUCC. In December i will graduate with my bachelors in biology and a minor in chemistry. While i am happy to finally be graduating, i am disappointed that i have not gotten to take many classes i wish i could. It seems that now that i finally have the pre-reqs and the INTEREST, i have to leave it all behind and opt into the "real world". I'm actually quite sad. Though i do wish to continue my education, my interests are so broad that i have no idea what to study or do! My parents are pressuring me to get a well paying job, which are typically those that i have no interest in. I want to be independent and able to support myself, and look forward to lifting the financial burden that i have stressed them with. I keep thinking that those classes that i want to take might help me figure out what i want to do in grad school, but i don't even want to go to grad school in the next year or two. I want to live my life, i want to explore new places, i want to travel and see the world. Yet i want to be a student and keep learning. But to do those things i need money, and entry level biology jobs just don't pay much, nor do you get much opportunity to travel. Honestly i didn't spend my time here as wisely as i should have and though i regret some things, i am happy that my experiences have made me who i am. I can't change the past and there is no sense on thinking of "what i should have done". I guess i am asking you for advice because you are a teacher, a science and nature lover, have gotten your PhD, and because you are a successful independent woman. I'm in a pickle because i want to graduate, but i want to keep taking classes and learning, i want to get out of CC, but i have fallen in love with this place. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrissy,
    I'd love to speak with you about paths to finding your passion. Email me at Cherie.McCollough@tamucc.edu and we will set up a time to chat. Thank you for you comment - yes there are screech owls in CC, and yes you too can be an independent woman who is paid to work and loves her job :)
    Dr. Mac

    ReplyDelete