Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Coming Full Circle

We (my classes and me) had our last Family Science Night at a Junior High last night. We do three Family Science Events every semester. My students plan, design and construct their projects and take them into the community where they do the teaching. It's awesome. We've won awards, I've gotten publications from data collection, and most importantly, they love doing science and see they can do science after these events. Last night, there were three of my former students teaching science in the Junior High school. I had so much fun talking to them, hearing of their experiences and how much they love (and sometimes hate) teaching. I was overwhelmed...they had us come to do Family Science for them as these students had gone into at least three schools while in my classes to do Family Science. Full circle - big time. Another former student tracked me down for a 'hallway-conference' as he is teaching full time and wanted to talk about pursuing a Master's Degree, and ultimately a PhD in science education. Another full circle.

I know a lot of my students read my blog. Read this: Hang in there. Be creative and authentic in your teaching. The fruits of our efforts often do not show themselves until several years down the road. And then, you will see the difference you are making.


P.S. I didn't know someone snapped this picture - she sent it to me today. That is me with one of my former (and best :) students. It was amazing talking to her and the others...Blessed Beyond Measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment