Sunday, May 03, 2009

Major Posting for Last Class Day

I've been here for quite a while - creating posts that I show my students on the last class day which is, by the way, Monday and Tuesday this week. I'm excited that we are finishing, but also sincerely sad to say good-bye to some of these students. I look at so many of them and know, deep in my heart, that our future children are going to be in very good hands. I love many of my students, and as I go through all the pictures and reflect on what we have accomplished, I am filled, once again, with overwhelming feelings of being so very, very blessed to have my job in training these future teachers. SO VERY BLESSED.

Here is a fishy tale involving a chance opportunity where I volunteered my students in a college bound experience with Dad's and their students: Perch dissection.

Our family science event in very, very rural Falfurrias Texas - 90 miles south of Corpus Christi: a wonderful evening involving high school, middle school and elementary campus!

And our first family learning event where we conducted both math and science activities at Flour Bluff intermediate school: math and science at it's best!

Keep in mind...these are all done outside of class. We have the regular semester to learn all about science and how to teach it. It's been a great ride - thank you so much to my students!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive Dr. McCollough. I am glad you took pictures that help tell the stories. You have touched so many people in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey that's some pretty neat stuff. Thanks for sharing Cherie Mac!

    I particularly liked the family dissection night and agree - parents really should be more involved in a child's daily school life. I think many times, a parent doesn't know where to start that behavior, so having events such as those creates an easy outlet to be participatory in their child's life. And I also enjoyed one student's reflection about bringing exposure of the university environment to students who may not otherwise have that. I agree that is key(!!) for demographics in which, like you said, education is not priority. Exposure to the mysterious, 'elite', world of university, seeing how accessible it really can be and finding advocates to help you in that journey has got to be an incredible leap for said demographic. Any way, my thoughts, saying: Nice Work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so perceptive EP! YES! Research tells us parents MUST be involved, but don't know how to go about this process - especially in Hispanic communities where language and culture are also barriers. And YES! The University experience - especially in math and science - is considered elitist, and only for white males. This work is so gratifying in that we are involving parents, students, extended family and my preservice teachers in the experience. I love it - and the rewards have been astounding. Thank you so much for your words of wisdom!!!!!

    ReplyDelete